For the dough:
2 cups Maida (Plain Flour)
1/4 cup melted Ghee
1/2 tsp Salt
2 cups finely chopped Onions
1 tsp Kalonji (Nigella Seeds)
2 tsp Saunf (Fennel Seeds)
2 Bay Leaves
1/2 tsp finely chopped Green Chillies
2 tblsp Besan (Bengal Gram Flour)
2 tsp Dhania Powder (Coriander)
2 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp Garam Masala
3 tblsp Chopped Coriander
2 tblsp Oil
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
How to make pyaz ki kachori :
To prepare the dough :
1. combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into a semi soft dough using water. Keep it for 5 - 7 minutes.2. Divide the dough into 12 equal parts and keep them covered under a wet muslin cloth.
3. For the onion filling heat oil in a pan.
4. Add the kalonji, saunf, bay leaves, green chillies and onions and saute till the onions turn light brownin color.
5. Add the besan, coriander powder, chilli powder, garam masala and salt and saute for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add the chopped coriander and mix well.
7. Remove the bay leaves.
8. Allow the mixture to cool completely. Divide into 12 equal parts and keep aside.
To make kachoris :
1. Roll out each portion of the dough into a 2 inch diameter circle.
2. Place one portion of the filling in the centre of the rolled dough.
3. Surround the filling with the dough by slowly streching it over the filling.
4. Seal the ends tightly and remove excess dough.
5. Roll each filled portion into a 2 1/2 inch diameter circle taking care to ensure that the filling does not spill out.
6. Gently press the centre of the kachori with your thumb.
7. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
8. Deep fry the kachoris in hot oil over a slow flame till fgolden brown.
9. The kachoris should puff up like puris.
10. These kachoris take a long time to be cooked in the inside too.
11. Serve hot with tamarind chutney and hari chutney.