Makes: 20 imartis
2 cups urad dal
3 cups sugar
300 ml. water
1/2 tsp. cardomom ground
500 gms. ghee to fry
1. Soak urad dal overnight in plenty of water.
2. Wash and drain. Grind to fine thick batter. Put water little by little.
3. Add colour and mix very well.
4. If using a mixie, beat the dal well by hand till fluffy after grinding.
5. Keep aside for 3 hours. More is weather is cold.
6. Make 1 tar sugar syrup as shown in introduction.
7. Add cardomom powder to syrup.
8. Using either an imarti bottle (with nozzle) or cloth as shown in note, form imartis in the hot ghee. Lower flame and allow to crisp turning once.
9. Remove from ghee, drain and dip in hot syrup.
10. Soak for 3-4 minutes, drain and serve.
11. Repeat for remaining batter.
12. Make 4-5 imartis at a time, depending on size of frying pan.
* Use a flat bottomed frying pan.
* The imarti bottle can be substituted with a soft plastic sauce bottle with a nozzle.
* If not available, take a 12"x 12" thick cloth, make a buttonhole type hole in centre.
* Place over a tumbler and pour in some batter.
* Hold like a pouch and press out imartis like icing.
* Shape the imartis as follows, make a ring first, then form small ringlets all along the ring. Till you come to the start.