Makes : 15-20
For the Dough :
5 Cups Wheat Flour
2 tbsp Oil
1 tbsp Salt
For the Stuffing :
1 Cup Split Dhuli Urad Dal (husked black beans split)
1 tsp Saunf (aniseeds)
2.5 cm Ginger Piece
½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Garam Masala
2 tsp Amchoor ( dried raw mango) powder
4 tbsp Oil ( for deep-frying)
1. Mix the wheat flour, oil & Salt with enough water to make a firm dough.
2. Soak the dal in 3 cups of water at least 2 hours.
3. Grind the dal with the saunf, ginger, adding minimum water.
4. Heat the oil in a kadhai (wok), add the dal paste together with the dry ingredients and fry for about 5-7 minutes. Do not make the paste too dry or too wet, otherwise the bervi will break while frying.
5. Take a small ball of dough, make a depression in the centre and place some stuffing in it. Bring the edges together and reshape into ball. Roll out into an even round of 10 cm.
6. Heat some oil to smoking point in a kadhai (wok); deep fry the bervi until crisp & golden. Repate the same procedure with the remaining dough.